A couple of years ago, I had a bad experience at a nail salon. I regularly go to this nail salon every two weeks to get my usual, a gel manicure. At this visit, the nail tech was very tough on my fingers. She filed my nails and cut my finger!! As I’m preparing to pay for her services, I was charged full price!! I was in shock because I came in to relax and left with a bloody finger and unsatisfied feeling. Venting to my friend led me to find a black owned nail tech ASAP. I found one and I love her!! But I didn’t want to stop there. I found myself googling black owned natural hair restaurants, doctors, and clothing companies, for example. It’s funny how that desire to find more black owned businesses is prevalent right now. There is so much attention on black owned businesses and I’m here for it!! So I came up with a list of black owned clothing and natural hair companies that I use or plan on shopping. Of course, their items are affordable so I got you!!
- Natur-all Club – Created by Muhga Elligani, she created natural hair products that are made of natural ingredients. I’ve seen this brand on Facebook A LOT so I had to finally check them out. Y’all!!! These products are like magic!!! I use the Fresh Avocado Deep Conditioner for moisture and it makes my curls pop.
- The Mane Choice – A friend introduced me to this brand a few years back and I haven’t looked back. Created by Courtney Adeleye, products like her Detangling Hydration Shampoo and Easy on the Curls Detangling Hydration Conditioner gives my hair so much moisture which cuts my hair wash day. She also sells vitamins that promote healthy hair growth.
- TGIN – I love this brand and the founder’s, Chris-Tia Donaldson, story is inspirational as she is a breast cancer survivor. I use her Butter Cream Daily Moisturizer religiously but I don’t need it every day. Her book, Thank God I’m Natural, is considered the “Natural Hair Bible.”
- Thrift N Tell – As you all may know, I love thrift shopping. So I thought it was dope that someone has a love for thrifting start a business where you can shop her finds. This beats having to look through rack after rack.
- Glamorous Chicks Headwraps – Based in New Jersey, I came across this online store on Facebook. I still wonder how Facebook knows I love headwraps but I digress. I love her designs and use of color plus she has matching facemasks. They also have a sale right now so thank me later! 😉
- Wrap Girl Magic – I went to see a friend walk in a fashion show when I came across these headwraps. I was immediately drawn to them and had to buy one. And the business is based in Stone Mountain, GA. How convenient!! Here’s a picture of the headwrap that I still receive compliments.
- Melanin Haircare – If you have natural hair and you’re not familiar with Naptural85, then you must live under a rock. Lol! Whitney created this brand of natural hair care and it is awesome!! Once you buy her Multi-Use Softening Leave in Conditioner, you’ll want to buy several bottles.
- America Hates US – I know what you’re thinking, the name caught me off guard too. When I saw their clothing pushes the envelope regarding social injustice, I was here for it!! I love graphic tees with a message so I’m excited to try them out. Plus they donate 20% of their proceeds to organizations fighting for equal rights for Black people. I love it!
- Jamaican Mango and Lime – I love, love, love their Jamaican Black Castor Oil and give this a lot credit with my hair growth. This company also has a collection for locs and beards, so fellas, I’m looking out for y’all too.
- Newd Style – I came across this business on Instagram. I was drawn to this green dress and wanted to see more. This business has pieces for every occasion, from running errands to date night with your boo.
- Cushnie – This is a brand that I’ve been eyeing but have to love from a distance because of its hefty price. Then I found out the luxury based brand currently has an affordable collection at Target. Say what now!! You know I already have a dress in my shopping cart. Lol! If you like minimalism with color, this is for you.
- Izzy and Liv – This brand screams Black Girl Magic and I’m pleased. What took me so long to find this business?? I saw so many graphic tees, handbags, and sunglasses, I didn’t know where to start! There’s also something for the fellas.
- InsideOut – Co-created by fashion blogger, LaShoundra Young of Young at Style, I know she was going to come through with affordable fashion since that’s her motto. I wasn’t wrong! This business displays trendy yet unique pieces that isn’t normally found at H&M or Zara. I’m in love with their high waisted jeans (they’re sold out) and knowing them, they will hug your curves with ease.
These are a few black owned businesses that I love and hope you do too. If you know any more black owned businesses, please comment below. I’m always looking for new places to shop.
Thanks for stopping by!! Love y’all and be safe.